PHASE 3 PROJECT ABSTRACT TECH4CARE
VR-RELIEF is an innovative modular mHealth solution, which can be potentially integrated with an immersive Virtual Reality (VR) system, to improve self-management,
empowerment and engagement in treatment for patients with chronic pain. Following the work done during Phase 1 and 2, the VR-RELIEF consortium developed a solution
composed by the following four components which are ready to be tested in Phase 3:
1) A HARDWARE PLATFORM:
a smartphone, optionally integrated with a compatible smartwatch and a VR-Headset. The VR-RELIEF consortium, given the
collaboration with Samsung Italy during Phase 1 and 2, will use their hardware during Phase 3. However, it should be stressed that the VR-RELIEF system is an open
solution, i.e. it is possible to use our system through different hardware and operating systems.
2) A SET OF SOFWARE APPLICATIONS (APPs),
1. A Virtual Coach (Dr. Relief),
3) A CLOUD-BASED PLATFORM:
, i.e. an intelligent system which will be able to:
a. Collect and elaborate patients’ information
2. A Library of VR applications
using a bio-psychosocial framework. Data regarding the patients will be collected:
i. directly from patient (Dr. Relief will assess them using validated questionnaires);
ii. from the clinicians data entry;
iii. indirectly and without need for data entry, thanks to functionalities embedded in the hardware (e.g. data from the smartwatch/wrist and the VR-Headset).
b. Profile the patients and cluster them
according to their clinical characteristics: data analysis allows the profiling of the patients, which will be the first step for the provision of (intelligent) personalized care. In addition, we developed machine-learning models that not only will be able to evaluate patients’ clinical conditions, but could possibly anticipate future trends (e.g. worsening conditions). In this respect, Phase 3 will be an important opportunity to gather real patients data and feed the system intelligence.
c. c. Provide personalized reminders and feedbacks for the patients
to enhance their adherence to the treatment and monitoring the treatments results.
for pain treatment, relaxation, rehabilitation.
an interoperable and open platform, remotely connecting users, professionals (also using social communication features) and
Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices. The clinicians will have the possibility to connect to a specific web portal where he/she could access user-friendly dashboards containing
a number of clinically relevant elaborated data regarding their patients (showing e.g. trends in pain, medication adherence and/or physical activity). The clinician portal
will be accessible also via mobile app and using any type of device.
4) TRAINING CONTENTS AND SOCIAL COMMUNITY TOOLS:
a repository of certified materials for patients’ training and self-management and a social community
tool for patients and their caregivers.
PHASE 3 PROJECT ABSTRACT GNOMON INFORMATICS
EPIONE™ vision is to provide a truly patient-centered treatment experience that promotes the notions of evidence-based practices and precise and personalized medicine.
That said, EPIONE™ adopts at its core a coaching system, based on six axes:
• unobtrusive monitoring of real-life evidence of treatment effects based on IoT analytics and clinically valid scales,
• a visual analytics platform for the timely identification and feedback of treatment progress and patient evolution and personalized adaptation of the treatment,
• a chatbot-enabled assistant for personalized treatment and motivation guidance to chronic pain patients, providing just-in-time recommendations, based on chronic
pain patient biopsychosocial profiling information,
• a contemporary, case-based learning approach promoting problem solving skills of patients,
• an online peer support community portal, where expert patients, highly motivated and responsible members of chronic pain associations can play the role of mentor
after a moderate amount of training and
• an intelligent videoconferencing subsystem for delivering privacy-aware remote discussions among healthcare experts and patients.